Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy Halloween


Alright this post was meant for october 31st. But I am a little bit behind. (this is due to enormous laziness on my part-all I have been able to do is sleep and do nothing productive-ps this will reap plenty of negative consequences.) So here is the rant:

Has anyone else noticed how much more importance halloween has taken over the past couple of years? I mean seriously is it even a holiday? What is it celebrating. I always thought it was holiday meant to dress children up and get free candy. When you get older apparently its an excuse for binge drinking and excessive partying. I wonder what that says about the state of our society if we will use any excuse to pop open a bottle and drink the night away?

The origins of halloween lie behind several ancient traditions which include celebrating the dead, the belief that ghost exist and come back to life, the fear of them recognizing you (thus hiding behind mask), and to appease them the onset of food (ie candy). http://www.history.com/content/halloween/real-story-of-halloween/today-s-traditions

I for one will say that I think its cute when kids dress up as fairies and pumpkins and such, since I love fall so much, but why do adults need to celebrate? What are they celebrating? The point of the holiday was to hide behind the mask so ghost wouldn't recognize you, why then has the holiday become an excuse for people to show so much unneeded skin? I simply dont understand?

It makes me sad to see that our society has become one that will use any excuse to drive themselves to a bottle until oblivion, or for ladies to show of all they have been hiding? What will this entail for the future generations. Just a thought to ponder.


0 comments: