Monday, March 7, 2011

Soluble Marriage


The contents of this article are not in anyway related to me, I have never once felt this way or expressed desires towards marriage. I don’t feel lonely EVER. =) That being said:

Every Malu Pentecostal girl has at one point or time in their life felt that marriage would be the solution to their problems. Okay, so maybe like me, you don’t like to admit it but somewhere deep down (for some of us DEEP DEEP DEEP DOWN) you have to admit that your thoughts have strayed along these lines before.  Why you ask?

I have an odd number of people in my family. I have noticed that my mom has my dad, my brothers (twins) have each other and I have…..winnie the pooh?. So from young age I have felt that I had to right this wrong and find someone to be my partner. Many of you LADIES may find yourself in this very same boat- you look around and you need someone to fill the void.

Most girls in our community are limited to having to stay at home even after college (except of course for MARILY JACOB) which put limits on what they can do. There are always questions (even if your going to church) who are you going with, why are you going, FOR WHAT PURPOSE (why don’t you just stay at home and help mummy). So girls tend to think that if (sorry WHEN) they get married they can come and go as they please no questions asked.

Thirdly women (EVEN STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMEN) like to feel defended. Not all the time, but its nice not to fight every battle single handedly and to be able to turnaround and say you take this one.

Every Disney movie that I have known has ended with the girl getting the guy, them getting married and living “happily every after”. This only furthers our façade that life just moves in perfect harmony after that, the first step is all that’s needed and the rest is wedded bliss.

For these reason and many more, many women easily fall into the trap of believing that marriage can solve their problems. I am not here to tell you that marriage is a bad thing, in fact IT’S A GREAT THING, but if you go into thinking your going to solve problems, you’re probably in for a rude awakening. Marriage has added perks- the prince charming we have been dreaming of our entire lives, comes and sweeps us off our feet, but what then? Do we simply have no more problems?

Forgive me for being skeptical, but somewhere along the line we have to wake up and realize that their might be problems and we have to learn that marriage isn’t a solution only a promise to find solutions together with another person.

Dear Ladies, I too have fallen for this dream world in which the problems are solved and life is perfect (these days a little more than I would like), but I rest assured knowing that these are the days that I am growing, learning about myself, making the mistakes I need to make to become the proverbs 31 wife that God has called me to be. Plus the single life has its perks too. So enjoy the time we have now, because once its gone, there isn’t really anything we can do to get it back. 

3 comments:

imagineb said...

I'm a visitor from Marily's blog and I think this is a fantastic post. Please keep writing. (Mal, if you read this, you should cross-post.)

Anonymous said...

Imagineb's always suggesting things. :-)

I love this post and I might just cross post this (IF you don't do that other thing I emailed you about today.)

Single life's all great, but loneliness is so deathly poisonous at times.

Sheena said...

Good thoughts! I think in any culture people fantasize about marriage as an escape and are in for a rude awakening if they don't get real!