Thursday, May 5, 2011

Monopoly-The real life game.

Yesterday, internet service providing companies such as AT&T announced that they would no longer be offering unlimited internet service. Meaning there will be a cap on the amount of  bandwidth you use per month. Of course 150GB is more than enough for the average every day internet user, and they will never even reach anywhere near it. Therefore never in danger of accumulating additional fees and overage charges.

Why should you care? You're the average joe who gets on the internet to check his/her email, facebook stalk, update twitter with nonsensical things (such as: @starbucks: trying their new mocha coconut frappuccino! its muy bueno!), and, write the occasional blog. For all intents and purposes the 150GB is more than enough for you. The real question is why did the the major internet service providing companies team up to decide this? And what kinda of implications does this have for the future? For example, what if, as soon as you get comfortable with this 150GB a month, three years down the road they say, since you guys never even reach 150GB we have decided to lower the monthly bandwidth amount to lets say...100GB. You're still the average joe so you are not in danger of overage fees just yet ;) But if the cycle continues than there is a distinct possibility that you might end up shorthanded.

Now, I am not one for conspiracy theories....(okay so maybe I believe that Obama has been keeping the Osama card in his sleeve for a while and has suddenly used it to curry political favor...and I may believe that the government had a secret hand in the assassination of John F. Kennedy....and that Big Brother really really exist ...JK) but the truth is there is something unusually fishy about this latest turn up.

Maybe it's just that I don't like the concept of unlimited internet not existing......hmm.

LEND ME YOUR THOUGHTS:

-Regina Roy
Wordless Thoughts

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just poking fun, but in all honesty, I think it's just another capitalist conspiracy to make the poor man, poorer and the rich man, richer.

That and the fact that servers need to compensate for the huge influx of internet usage and in order for there not to be an universal shutdown, companies have to deal with the issue now.

Hence the reason, South Korea's got internet curfews and bandwidth limits.

As for your other conspiracies, I'm shocked you didn't mention the Masonic theories...THAT is where I go overboard. Philip got me on that train and I have several friends with a large amount of knowledge on that.

Regina Roy said...

OMG how could I forget...IT slipped my mind...Blessy came home from that one WOW meeting...and she was scared for a whole week...I had to question what REALLY HAPPENED.

Anonymous said...

I never really thought you were psychotic...
till now.

Kidding =) I used to toot the Mason horn, but now, I think people just want a reason NOT to believe in something, government included. Do they do some shady things? Probably.

But did we also land on the moon? I think so.