Tuesday, July 7, 2009

seeking God

God, I don’t love you. I don’t even want to love you. But, I want to want to love you
- Theresa of Avila (via: http://anotherpilgrim.wordpress.com/)


True this statement. I can honestly say that my prayer has been this very quote several times, although re-worded. I pray to God to teach me to want him, or to need him. There is a major difference between want and need. Wants you can live without, needs you cant. The truth is I am a person of instant gratification, when I see something I want it. I wish sometimes that I had as much interest or love towards God or his word as I do for a a new skirt, or shopping, or eating (yes the inner fatty grumbles). How can we develop that? How can we develop John Piper's "Christian Hedonism?"  To my fellow blogger, I feel you. I pray that God would help us to see him in a different light or to seek him or to want to seek him. I think that this is the first step. I want to one day be able to let everything else go and truly be able to say I love God more then some of the other things in my life.


0 comments: