Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bible Translation


Most of you may not even be acquainted with what translation (ie: KJV, NKJV, NIV, ESV, The MESSAGE) in fact the reason you bought your bible as one of my cousin’s (he happens to be in seminary school as well) so aptly joked is based on the color and font. I am not sure why but for as long as I can remember I have been what I like to call a translationist or a translation snob. I have always cared what translation the bible that I am carrying is in, and will verify verses using other translations. Maybe its because I have since a young age been required to make speeches regarding bible topics and I like to use bare minimum- (meaning I don’t like to make things too complicated).

For the past couple of years I have been using more contemporary translations, such as New Contemporary Version and as of late for my birthday I had my parents purchase a fifty dollar leather bounded Message Translation. Now I love Eugene Peterson, he simply seems to have a quirky way of putting the truth, but at the same time it’s not always directly what is stated. I have found myself penciling in what the verse is actually stating using other versions such as the NIV. And you can forget following along during church and winning bible reference.

So I have been on the search for a new bible with a translation which is both contemporary and close to the source (original Greek).  I want to keep my Message Translation as a reference point and devotional guide but I also need another bible to simply carry to church (a good cover and font won’t be begrudged) but I want a decent translation as well.  So far all reviews I have received lead me to go for the ESV translation. Let me know what you guys think.

Psalm 23:1 – The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want-KJV, NKJV, ESV
 
Psalm 23:1 – The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing-NIV
 
Psalm 23:1- The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need- NCV
 
Psalm 23:1 – God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. –THE MESSAGE



2 comments:

Unknown said...

ESV Study Bible! I bought mine about 5 months ago and I LOVE it. It also came with access to the online bible, which allows you to highlight and take notes, until you overcome the fear of actually writing in the bible yourself. You can bookmark stuff and it even reads to you. AMAZING!!!

bricejohnson said...

I love the ESV Study Bible, it really is amazing, as Shervin said, but another excellent version that holds to the word-for-word accuracy is the NASB. It's more grammatically accurate than nearly any version out there, insofar as relating what the actual words were that the writers used, and their word placement. The ESV is a bit more read-able, but still accurate. I use those 2 as my study Bibles or the ones I carry around regularly.
The NIV goes for "thought-for-thought" translation, trying to convey what the author was trying to convey. But what gets lost at times are the word plays or other grammar devices the author uses, and they don't always translate the same word the same way.
You're going to run into issues with any translation because no translation is going to get it perfect. There is much that is, literally, lost in translation. But I'm glad that you actually care about which version you're reading!
Btw, you can get a pretty nice, cheap ESV from Mardel's from between $10-13. =)