Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Self Importance: be careful not to take yourself too seriously

So last week I was given the opportunity to speak in front of a semi-large crowd of people and I actually thought that I was prepared and ready to go. I took some time preparing the message, read the word of God, found some interesting antecdotes and set a particular flow to the topic that was given. Now I will be honest I pretty much though that when I spoke people would listen, maybe understand something for the first time when they were never able to before. I though it was conceivable that I was going to be used by God to do something great in the 15 minutes of time that I was alotted. Pride comes before every fall. I walked off the stage feeling like a complete idiot. Technically speaking the speech went alright. But thats just it, IT was a speech rather then a message. I think the problem with me was that I thought too much, I allowed myself to think that I was more then just the feet wetting opening act (excuse the roughness of the term). Maybe if I haden't given it so much thought I wouldnt have walked away feeling utterly dissapointed. I feel like part of me gives myself too much importance. Like I am someone so people should listen to what I have to say. When the reality is, what have I done to gain such a notorius title? Even when starting this blog, part of me felt like this was going to prepare me to be the next journalist in the new york times. Now I am not saying don't have dreams or dont try to accomplish anything. Rather do it because you like to do it, because you are good at it and because you can gain something. Dont go into it thinking you are already something and people should listen to you, that usually never results in anything good. If you go into it thinking that you are going into it simply as a learning experience for yourself you will never walk away dissapointed. There is never a day when you cant learn something new. Thats all for today, see you next failure :)

0 comments: