Friday, July 3, 2009

PCNAK: Christian Prom

So I was not allowed to go to my high school prom because my Dad didnt like the notion behind prom. I was, at the time, senior class vice president, and spent quite a bit of time picking out the details for a prom that I did not get to enjoy =(  Okay so I am not sure If I ever really got over that (but I totally milked it for the next two years....ala the MAC I am using)

There are many other malayalee Pentecostal kids out there that were denied this vital opportunity in their lives. Fortunately for them there is the all encompassing PCNAK. When I was younger I used to envy the kids that got to travel every year to a different state for the nationally known conference, and hang out and be groupies. They got to wear their best outfits to outdo each other and skip meetings to hang out in the lobby, and make friends who they could IM later. I wanted to be apart of that ever growing crowd.

As I got older, I began to see PCNAK in a different light.  It was the prom that many young penti's such as myself never got attend. Except this was a four day prom, each day increasing in dress and elegancy in code of conduct. It had everything you could wish for, the only thing missing was the spiritual aspect. Now don't get me wrong I am not bashing conferences or PCNAK or secretly wanting to hold a poster that reads "DOWN WITH PCNAK!" Its just 
...I have kinda started to see beyond the glitz and glamour and started to look deep down. Where is the substance? People take out a double mortgage on their house to pay of the debt they helped rack in order to outbeat the last guy. Even more sad is that they spend 100's of thousands of dollars on getting speakers and performers who many people dont attend. While they are doing this for the "glory of God" I picture the lone servant of God riding his bicycle somewhere in India preaching the gospel, secretly worrying what his family's meal will be? Does anyone get saved at PCNAK? 

Its not that PCNAK should be shutdown (like the playboy mansion...which is another blog entry waiting to happen) its that it needs to be refocused. Why not call it like it is. A social gathering. I would be more inclined to go if that was the forefront of the conference. Rather then trying to please both GOd and man, where no one really wins. If the money spent for this prom was actually put to better use, I feel we could accomplish our goal as christians. I mean if its a social gathering you don"t have to waste money on world renowned speakers, In fact ...how about save that money and help that poor pastor, feed his family. That way you can at least rest assured that someone somewhere is getting the desperately needed gospel and YOU HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT>

On a side note: Governor Sarah Palin is resigning. I wonder what this means for the future of Alaska. In all honesty I like her honesty. She seems like a very wholesome person who maybe deep down aside from the ignorance has her heart in the right place and has the best intentions.

8 comments:

Shawn Jean said...

I couldn't agree more. After I began to see the light, I quit attending PCNAK prom annually. The costs exceed the benefits, making it spiritually and economically unwise (not to mention emotionally painful for those who come to outdress, outspend, and outflirt the next person down the aisle).

I can't believe it once seemed fun to be a groupie, planning outfits weeks in advance, staying at posh hotels, and taking vids for youtube for post-PCNAK memories.

btw, I wasn't allowed to go to prom so maybe I should start milking it too. lol. Who couldn't use a new laptop?

Regina Roy said...

I hear that this year's was much better then most, that they are trying to focus on getting local people within our community, and a grand total of some 40,000$ was saved. I am glad. Its a step in the right direction. P.S I am not entirely sure you are going to get a new laptop but you know its always worth a try.

ThePraiZe said...

Well articulated thoughts,should be presented to all the so called egocentric malayalees on how much we do to put our master in shame.

ThePraiZe

Anonymous said...

i dont like going to fokana, pcnak, because of the large crowds. there are so many pre-teenagers, teenagers, and young adults. they come from all 50 states, outlaying territories and canada provinces to a large venue. with the 5,000 people or such, you feel left out with all the friendship cliques, boys freind ship cliques, or like you put it "groupings". from what i get they come in the droves from their locale so they can be with each other in the lobby. its the same feeling i get when in high school at lunch time every one has their small to large circles and you are all alone literally alone because you have no friends. i dont like going to fokana or pcnak because i feel left out. I feel left out or i dont know anyone there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Regina
I am a mother of two young teens. Without saying to them, they knew prom was unfit for their Christ Identity and they just refused. What is basically happening at prom? You are exposing yourself with your dress, dancing with boys and so on. As you are a child of God please do not puts face a shame.
Daniel was in captivity at the age of 16. He himself decided that he will not defile himself. In that loneliness, Daniel had a strong decision making power that made him future the President of Babylon. If your dad stop and other penti kids from prom, do not worry- your parents don't want with their consent to get ways into sin.
Regina, Read the Bible daily and analyze yourself, how you can practice in your personal life. Be a role model in your life. Bring others into Christ. Take time for self-medication. Lord will use you mightly.
PCNAK and prom are different aspects. I am not an entertainer of PCNAK. but I like sermons makes to practice in my personal life.
I tell my teen kids- show your Christ identity. In this wicked generation, show your identity through your words, deeds, dress code- wear modest dress- do not wear dresses that exposes your body. In this era, be a model and let others learn from you.
God bless

Anonymous said...

as you are a child of God please do not put down the face of God into shame.

Anonymous said...

sorry -spelling mistake-self meditation with the word of God ( ya....a type of medication)....hahaha

Anonymous said...

sorry..spelling mistake-self meditation...(ya..a type of medication..hahaha)