Wednesday, May 5, 2010

It's Gotta Be More Like Falling in Love


Driving down the road on a hot summer day on my way to get a sonic treat and I hear this song, “its gotta be more like falling in love, then something to believe in, more like losing my heart then giving my allegiance, caught up called out, come take a look at me now.” I start to sing along even though I don’t fully know the lyrics because I find it to be true.

The stanza’s start off by “give me rules I will break them, show me lines I will cross them, I need more then a truth to believe in, I need a truth that lives, moves and breathes, to sweep me off my feet.” I though to myself  “your preaching to the choir.” I am genetically inclined to break rules rather then follow. I like to shape the mould and I definitely  (for the longest time I had such difficulty spelling this word) had some difficulty with that lesson about staying within lines. Behind the façade of a type A perfectionist is a messy, take no prisoners, whirlwind rule breaker with a heart of gold (if I may add).

Growing up in the Malayalee, Pentecostal church I know all about the rule following Christian. The typical, attend all services, wear white and if you’re a guy, remove facial hair Christian. No room for mistakes, NONE. How can you make mistakes? There is a  “HOW TO GUIDE” called the bible and everything that’s not mentioned is written in the CHURCH doctrine. The song reminded me that being a Christian isn’t about following rules which are written or giving allegiance, its about falling in love with a savior who is absolutely amazing. 

The thing about love is its MESSY. It’s not a set of rules that can be followed or lines that can be set. It’s about developing a relationship with someone. If you ask me the world has yet to come up with a good “how to develop a relationship” guide. Relationships vary based on individuals.  I feel that the reason why many people hesitate to become associated with Christianity is because of the negative connotation of a bible beating, sign wielding, rule follower. If they could only see the love that keeps us bound to Christ then maybe they would understand. Rules are not always understood by all people. In fact rules change, interpretations are different but one thing that doesn’t change is love. People can easily grasp the concept of love. It’s hard to ignore when it’s all around. Christianity is meant to be more like falling in love, something you just can’t help. You can’t help but do what you must to make someone you love happy. Rules aren’t needed to be a Christ follower, only love. The rest will undoubtedly follow.

Good Night and Good Thinking.

0 comments: